http://revdan.blogspot.com/2006/05/seriously.html

Saturday, August 14, 2004

So many thoughts...

Last week my wife and I spent four nights at Glen Laurel Inn in Hocking Hills. We considered a trip to Florida, Cancun or someplace in the Carribean, but we decided we needed a "sure thing" when it came to our rest and recuperation from the past couple of months. Everything was perfect. The cabin, the food, the weather, our hikes--it all seemed like a gift for some weary travellers. I found myself thanking God over and over again for such an amazing experience. I was even more thankful for the selection when we arrived home and turned on the news to see the hurricanes ravaging Florida and other parts of the Carribean. We chose Hocking Hills over Aruba and it was a major good call!
While I was there I spent some time thinking about the design God has for my church. I wrestle with keeping the weekend service seeker sensitve because it's prime time for visitors or going more Spirit-driven because it's prime time for visitors. Will people be more attracted to an experience that they can ease into like a cool lake in July or something more dramatic and in your face that shouts of God's presense? I think it's both, but I don't have all the pieces together yet. I was leaning more towards the "ease in" approach while I was on vacation, but last night I went to the kick-off of a children's rally in Fairfield by David Walters and I watched as the power and presence of God fell on the place and children were touched in a mighty way as he called them forth to become a part of God's mighty army. The whole service was out there, but you could not miss the Big God in the middle of the service. I know God has it worked out. He knows exactly how he wants it. Teach me your ways O' God.

3 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Chris said...

pardon my french, but it's about damn time you started a blog...now I can get inside your head.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Wewe....I didn't know you spoke French! --Dan

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I hope you don't mind the sores and smell from the athlete's foot.--Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home