http://revdan.blogspot.com/2006/05/seriously.html

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Got to do God's job for Him?

Psalm 37
3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the LORD ;
trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes...
9b but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.

My Part:
1. Trust in the Lord
2. Do Good
3. ENJOY safe pasture
4. Delight in the Lord
5. Commit my way to the Lord
6. Trust in Him
7. Be still before the Lord
8. Wait patiently for Him
9. Do not fret
10. Hope in the Lord

God's Part:
1. Provide safe pasture
2. Give me the desires of my heart
3. Cause my righteousness to shine like the dawn
4. Make the justice of my cause shine like the noonday sun
5. Give the inheritance

David certainly knew pain, stress, fear, betrayal, disappointment... and so on. He knew very well that this life wasn't easy and that one thing you could count on was a challenge around the many corners of life. But David had learned that there was something else he could count on or should I say someone he could count on. David is referred to as "a man after God's own heart." He had learned the secret to "remaining." When times got tough and uncertain he retreated to his "refuge" and "ever-present help." He went to the God of certainty in uncertain times. God was his life-line. How did God know the desires of David's heart? He knew because David spent time delighting in, waiting on and enjoying God. David had mastered the art of "Being still before" the Lord.

And then there was Dan--the thinker (Don't laugh), the dreamer, the worrier, the quick fixer, the doer, the think-out-louder, the emotional roller-coaster...Not to be confused with David the worshipper, the prayerer, the be-er, the truster...

Could it be that the panic attacks, moments of fear, frustration and anger are from my attempts to run ahead of God, right out of the safe pasture he's given me today, and try to do God's job for him? Let's look again at God's part vs. my part. Am I so busy running around trying to produce a safe pasture for tomorrow that I've not taken the time to delight in, wait on, enjoy and just be with the God that loves me and has my best interest in mind? Have I sat down with him long enough for him to know the desires of my heart. I don't know if I've sat down long enough to even know the desires of my heart.

Lord, help me to be like David.

5 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely put. Most of our stress at this point is from worrying about how the future will come out. We're not enjoying the current pasture. I mean, we haven't even had anyone crap on us over the past couple of weeks--that's got to be a record!! There are a lot of things to be thankful for. I hear you have a wonderful wife--that in and of itself is a reason to enjoy life!

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a break why don't ya?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Chuck said...

Not so sure David mastered it...just knew where mastery was to be found.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Good Point!

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are far to hard on yourself. You make a difference in many lives every day. God knows your heart, and he loves you for it. Don't ever stop dreaming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home