http://revdan.blogspot.com/2006/05/seriously.html

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Patience

I'm not a very patient person. In fact, I love being an American where we cater to the fastfood lifestyle. Farmers have to be patient people. Afterall, they spend a great deal of time and energy getting ready to plant their crop. Then they water and wait, and water and wait, trusting that something is happening below the surface of the ground. It must be a great relief when signs of life start to peek through the soil, but then they're back to waiting for a number of months until it's harvest time. That's a long haul from fastfood!

Yesterday, I paid a visit to the church I served for five years as a youth pastor. I had a good experience there working with the kids, but I found myself frustrated a lot of times because there didn't seem to be much growth among the adults. My visit yesterday was initiated by their desire to bless my church with a significant gift to help our ministry. While visiting with the current pastor I was blessed beyond belief with stories of all that God was doing in that place. I'm not sure which was more meaningful...the check or the stories? I walked away doublely blessed! The hard work and time spent makes harvest time that much sweeter. The challenge is in being faithful to prepare the soil, service the tools needed, plant, water, wait, water and then.............harvest.


Our patience will achieve more than our force.
Edmund BurkeIrish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)


Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
Victor HugoFrench dramatist, novelist, & poet (1802 - 1885)

Galatians 5
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home